Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Power Breakfast: Quinoa




Quinoa came onto the scene a couple of years ago; back then I thought it was pronounced "quin-Oh-ah" and I wasn't all that interested in all the hype. Two or so years later, I now know it's "queen-wah" and it's a staple in my cupboards. I'm usually late to the party, but at least I get there :p It's not just a fad food; this ancient grain is not only an excellent source of fibre, it's also a complete source of protein (it has a full set of essential amino acids). Who would've though that one little grain could pack such a powerful punch?

Quinoa Breakfast Bowl (from Glow Magazine, September 2011)

1/2 cup red or white quinoa
1 1/4 cups almond milk
pinch of salt

Add ins: Go crazy! Vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup, agave syrup, fruit preserves, nuts, chopped berries. 

Stir together the quinoa and the almond milk in a medium saucepan. Add the pinch of salt, stir and bring to a boil. Let it simmer 10-15 minutes, just until the milk is absorbed.  I happen to enjoy it with a touch of cinnamon and maple syrup, garnished with some slices almonds.

Source: Glow Magazine, September 2011.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment